Monday, March 28, 2016

School of Hard Knocks


For the last seven months, I was taking a full-time, post-graduate public relations program. Although I didn't make the Dean's List as I initially aspired to (90 per cent or more in all courses), I came pretty darn close. Despite this shortcoming, I'm not disappointed in myself. During my first term, my boss/friend gave me advice which enabled me to take a lot of pressure off myself, "Don't worry about your grades, just enjoy the journey."

As a mature student, I did the best I could while…
  • raising two adolescent girls and a little boy, single-handedly
  • fighting for freedom from my ex through a completely unnecessary and prolonged legal battle (almost 2.5 years)
  • cultivating a beautiful, new relationship with an intelligent, inquisitive, creative, brave and passionate man.

Ultimately, I realize my acomplishments cannot be measured by marks and the true value of my efforts may not be tangible for months or even years to come. I did, however, achieve my main goals: build self-confidence and improve self-esteem, practice and polish my writing skills, acquire formal training in Mac OS and desktop publishing, and make new friends and business contacts.

Returning to school was positively one of the best decisions I've ever made. I will look back on my time spent at Niagara College fondly and remember with appreciation the support and kindness I received from my teachers and classmates.

I wish my fellow classmates all the best, as we each embark on the next steps of our journeys - our internships.

Keep in touch,
Stephanie



2 comments:

  1. And know you can write for your blog without any pressure! Enjoy the journey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eskeila!! The journey wouldn't have been the same, if I hadn't met you. Thanks for your freindship and for being an awesome teammate. BTW, hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow :)

      Delete