Sunday, March 13, 2016

Fighting Society's Warped Expectations and Objectification of Women

Watch the video here: We are #WomenNotObjects 
When my oldest daughter was barely four, I happened to find her looking in the mirror and sucking in her stomach. I was horrified. Since one of my older sisters had an eating disorder in her late twenties, I felt my family may be prone to developing such an illness. I banned the words "fat" and "diet" from our house. I emphasized the need to make good choices and eat nutritious meals, in order to "be healthy."
See blog Beauty Redefined for FAQ.

The thought of my girls becoming anorexic still scares me to death. I want them to be confident in who they are and value themselves enough to take good care of their bodies by eating a well-balanced diet, participating in sports and getting adequate rest. I don't want them to base their self-worth on how many likes their selfies get on Instagram or suffer low self-esteem because they don't think they measure up to society's warped expectations of what a female body should (or shouldn’t) look like.

Since there is a history of diabetes and heart disease in our family, I want to provide them with the best start possible, so they could avoid any weight-related health issues down the road. It's a delicate line to walk, trying to foster healthy life-style habits without giving them the impression they need to be a certain body type.

The ability to maintain a healthy body image and strong self-confidence is becoming more and more difficult for many women, due to endless provocative advertisements that objectify females. Even at 40, I find it hard not to compare myself to photo-shopped pictures in advertisements. How are my daughters managing? Not very well, I'd guess.

It's been 10 years and my baby, who is now 14, complained to me just yesterday that she looks pregnant. At 5 feet 4 inches tall and 114 pounds, she is quite slender (as of this month she is now officially taller than me). I explained since she's had a recent growth spurt, it is only natural for her to gain a few pounds. In fact, I worry she doesn’t eat enough.

As someone who has always struggled to maintain a healthy Body Mass Index (BMI), I wonder if the example I set for my children has been good enough. I have tried very hard to stop body shaming myself and adopt the mindset of the Body Positive Movement as explained in a video by Marie Southard Ospina and Bustle featured on Everyday Feminism Magazine. I want to exude confidence and show my girls I am still capable of looking and feeling good despite carrying "extra" weight.

Madonna Badger in interview with Matt Lauer on Today.
"Objectifying women is really up there with inequality of women," said Manhattan advertising executive Madonna Badger on Jan. 26, 2016, in an interview with Matt Lauer of TODAY.

After losing her family (three daughters and her parents) in a tragic house fire on Christmas Day in 2011, Badger tells Lauer she is taking on the fight against the objectification of women in marketing and advertising. She is redirecting her energy into a new campaign, #WomenNotObjects, that has been on her mind for years.

"We talked about what innovation and marketing really meant," said Badger, regarding the Women's Wear Daily Beauty CEO Summit in 2007 and 2009. "It’s no longer this old paradigm of filling the consumer with shame and anxiety. You know, ‘You’re not good enough,’” but rather "getting inside the shoes of your consumer."

Ashley Graham's lingerie collection available
at Addition Elle. Shop here.

One company that seems to have been able to do just that is Addition Elle. Their vision and mission is to "champion a fashion democracy, where style isn’t limited by size." They promise to "deliver modern, fashionable clothes; in an inspiring, world-class shopping experience in-store and online" to help women who wear their clothes to "feel confident, beautiful and included in the fashion world."

I've been shopping at Addition Elle for over a decade. I've always appreciated the variety of fashionable clothes they've offered. Their sizes, styles and options for women size 12 and up only continue to improve. When I read their new slogan #IamSizeSexy, which debuted in March 2015, I smiled to myself. Yes I am, I thought. There is no need to define what size sexy actually is.

Standing with you,
Stephanie

12 comments:

  1. I really think that sometimes fighting with the society's expectation becomes really difficult as we become so focused in following the rules on the society. I really liked the way you talked about this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Lekhika. Ultimately, we help make up our society, so each of us can make a difference. Especially when we stand together.

      Delete
  2. I think that we never finish to fight with stereotypes "a woman always must be thin, because she looks pretty only way". Teens girls think they look thin is the most important as fashion magazine show it. Anyway, the attitude, safe, professional training whith you share us when write you this topics, it show me a beautiful woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like men, women have a variety of shapes and sizes. If we were all made from the same cookie cutter, life would be pretty boring. Thank you for your kind and suportive comments, Ere. xoxo

      Delete
  3. It's so important to do this now. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Syed. I'm happy to know you "stand" with me.

      Delete
  4. Your journalism skills shine! You are a wonderful writer who has a way with words that can wrestle with important issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the supportive and kind comment, Sarah. I appreciate your feedback.

      Delete
  5. This is an insightful, well written and extremely relevant blog! I especially related to delicate line we walk, trying to foster healthy life-style habits as you mentioned without fostering the notion that we have to be any body 'type'! This is an important issue to address because beauty truly does come from within. Our bodies need to be healthy on the inside and in turn will reflect outward. Love yourselves ladies! You are beautiful and you are worth it!
    I look forward to further posts Stephanie. Thank you for sharing!
    With Love Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina! You do a good job at taking care of yourself. Balance is another key to reaching optimum health. I appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing from you again. <3 Steph

      Delete
  6. Hi Stephanie I met you on the airplane it's Nancy ! I read your blog you're an impeccable writer thank you for sharing I will continue to follow I hope you had a very nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! It was nice meeting you. I think bumping into each other was no accident. I appreciate your willingness to share your life experiences with me. Candid, open and honest conversation is a breath of fresh air. I wish you and your family all the best. Thanks for the generous compliment. Stephanie

      Delete