Friday, May 13, 2016

My Internship Experience at United Way

When I started the post-graduate public relations program at Niagara College, I already knew which direction I wanted to take once I finished. An advantage of returning to school at age 40 - I have more life experience compared to younger students and know what my strengths and weaknesses are and what I'm passionate about.

Last fall, my fellow classmates and I had to apply for our internships. Since I have an intense desire to help and empower others, I was thrilled to learn there was a charity close to home willing to take in a student. With the program coordinator's support and encouragement, I sent in a resume to United Way South Niagara (UWSN). I had an interview with them in January, which subsequently led to my placement there this past April.

Putting my skills to use in the not-for-profit arena was very appealing. The idea I could make a positive difference in my community and help provide comfort to those suffering mentally, emotionally, physically or financially spurred me on when the going got tough. Believe me, as a single mom with three children, it was far from easy. Although, knowing my kids look to me as a role model (whether they'd admit to it or not) was another huge motivational factor. I wasn't just in it for myself.

The arrangement was a win-win for both the organization and me. They gained a motivated and eager employee for a month and I had the chance to test out my newly acquired public relations skills by completing a variety of projects for them. I prepared editorial and social media calendars and created content for social media platforms, wrote website content, assisted in event planning, analyzed reports and performed administrative duties. It felt good to work for an organization with values that align with my own.

United Way has three primary areas of concentration:
1. All That Kids & Families Can Be
2. Healthy People, Strong Communities
3. From Poverty to Possibility

Built on the belief that more could be accomplished to advance the common good by banding together, UWSN is a unique charity in that it doesn't raise money for its own direct cause.  They help create a healthier, stronger community by engaging people and mobilizing collective action. #WeArePossibility

With an annual campaign that runs from September to April, UWSN appeals to the community for donations and support. UWSN then gives back to the community by funding not-for-profit agencies that provide essential programs and services. With UWSN's assistance, the affiliated not-for-profit agencies don't have to spend their own time and money fundraising and can remain focused on their respective missions.

It was a pleasure to work with the executive director, campaign associate and book keeper. They are a small but amazing crew that, along with many volunteers, keeps UWSN ticking.

What can you do?
Give. Volunteer. Act.
Stephanie

P.S. Stay up to date with UWSN by joining them on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment