Friday, February 19, 2016

Listen Up!

My mom had our clock radio tuned to the local country music station, when I was a kid. Music was our morning alarm, so I got ready for school listening to tunes like The Gambler by Kenny Rogers, Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, and Wasn't that a Party by the Irish Rovers.

My dad bought me albums of popular children's music, including Raffi, Fred Penner and Sharon Lois and Bram. I also enjoyed his record collection: Pink Floyd, Moody Blues and The Steve Miller Band.

As a teenager, my music choices branched even further out. I had hundreds of cassette tapes. Everything from soft, hard and alternative rock to pop, post punk and new wave. My cousin and I went to several concerts together, including Neil Young, Rolling Stones, The Tragically Hip and Rush.

Lyrics are usually catchy. One could easily learn the words to a song, but never quite hear its message. A prime example of this is Freewill from Rush's album Permanent Waves.

Back then, the profound meaning behind the song went over my head and I missed the important lesson: "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

It wasn't until 2012, when I read a story titled Choices by a man who proclaimed "no one gets a pass on the obligation of choice," that I finally got it. He was referring to those who stay in unhappy or abusive relationships.

I had been living in a relationship that was very much one-sided. I gave up on my wants and needs and surrendered control to my partner. I thought marriage was forever and that our love for each other could conquer anything. In reality, I was the one who was doing all the work. He was emotionally unavailable, detached and indifferent to my pain. Like many others living in similar situations, I felt powerless.

I was existing in a vicious cycle of hope and unfulfilled promises. I didn't know what to do, so I did nothing. BUT, by doing nothing, I was still making a choice. Once I understood this, I realized I had many options. I could choose deliberately (or by doing nothing) to stay in the dysfunctional relationship, or I could hold him accountable for his behaviour and leave. I became empowered and chose to take action. No more passive choices.

Don't leave your life to chance. Take control. Make informed choices. Choose FREEWILL.

Yours truly,
Stephanie

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful to read the power of music has on an individual. I can relate to this in many ways. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to think of music in another sense than entertainment. Lyrics can and so often are truly powerful. I'm glad you decided to take action and make the right choice for yourself. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is therapeutic on so many levels. Thanks for your support Andrea.

      Delete
  3. I love it, and totally agree with this post! Music is also one of my favorite way to reclaim myself and it does work for me all the time. Also, I like the saying "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice," which makes me rethink lots of things. Really benefit greatly from your blog, thanks Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, Thanks for your positive feedback. I'm glad you liked it and learned from it :)

      Delete