Friday, February 12, 2016

Are You Paralyzed by Fear?


Hopes and dreams abound in the minds of many people. Unfortunately, without courage to act on them, that’s where they often stay. Fear is a powerful emotion with the potential to keep you from reaching yours. Self-doubt perpetuates self-doubt.

Last February, I was invited to apply for a company that provides writing services. Honoured to be considered and excited at the prospect, I quickly prepared and submitted my resume. I presented as a confident and eager candidate and had a successful interview resulting in a job offer.

Although I had studied journalism in college, frequently received compliments on my writing and was my friends’ go-to person for all things writing-related, I immediately began to doubt my ability.


Feedback improved with each completed project, yet I remained cautiously optimistic:
  • I obsessed over every detail of every project.
  • I read every email a hundred times before hitting send.
  • I didn’t want to look incompetent, so I was reluctant to ask for clarity.
  • I took corrections to my work and constructive criticism hard and attacked myself for being stupid.

  • The flow of work was steady and I was happy to accept as many projects as I could. In one case, I accepted the work without reviewing my new client's file first. When I opened it, my heart froze and my stomach dropped. There was five times as much material to go through than what I had seen so far. Panic ensued.

    My internal dialogue was not pretty: What had I been thinking? I knew it was too good to be true. I can’t do this job. I’m in way over my head. I’m going to get fired and I just got hired. I’m a failure. 

    I experienced heart palpitations, as I paced the floor and bit my nails. Walking from one room to another, it seemed as though I was looking for something. A life raft perhaps. Something to keep me from drowning in my own self-pity. I grabbed my phone instead.

    Using facetime, I called my boyfriend. He was sympathetic and listened to me rant. He remained calm, cool and collected. His demeanor was somewhat contagious and I listened as he helped me to challenge my distorted thinking. He suggested I start with what I knew and take care of the easy things first. With his help, I was able to regain my composure and complete the project on deadline.

     33 Powerful Ways of Overcoming Fear … Right Now
    After discussing this episode with my therapist, she shared a technique that helped me to put risk and reward in perspective and minimize my fear of failure. She simply pointed out the worst case scenario in this situation, which would be getting fired, and asked how that would affect me six months from now? I told her I would recover and find another job.

    As Franklin D. Roosevelt said in his inaugural address, "The only thing we have to fear is... fear itself."

    In order to overcome my fear, I had to face it head on. I learned I couldn’t allow fear to keep me from trying, or I would fail by default. As it turns out, I’ll be celebrating my first work anniversary in a few days.

    Cheers,
    Stephanie

    14 comments:

    1. Such a great post. All people have their own fears, even though very often we refuse to show that. Dale Carnegie also said: "Do things you fear, and continue to do that. This is the quickest and surest way of all victory over fear".
      Thanks Stephanie, your posts inspired me!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Liliia, I'm glad you were encouraged by my post. Thanks for your comment and the quote. I agree with Carnegie; exposure therapy does help alleviate anxiety.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Fear is a very strong emotion and it can definitely paralyze you and stop you from living. I'm glad that you are moving on and reaching your goals.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Eskeila, Thanks for your support :)

        Delete
    4. I liked this post! Personally, I take every moment I can to challenge myself and conquer a fear. Whether it is something as simple as dealing with worms (they're just such an...interesting creature) or taking the plunge and getting back on my skis, I love the ability to check things off a list. I appreciate you sharing your personal experiences with fear, sometimes we don't always notice what we may be avoiding subconsciously because of fear!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm happy to hear you continue to challenge yourself. It isn't always easy to face up to your fears, but it is definitely rewarding. Thanks for sharing Lauren.

        Delete
    5. I enjoyed this post. In order to get past fear, you have to take it head on. You cannot avoid it and get away with it. Very motivating!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I agree, you can't avoid fear. Those who think they are avoiding fear are only allowing it to control them. I'm glad you liked this post Steven. Thanks for commenting.

        Delete
    6. This totally hit close to home. I tend to obsess over minor details and the self doubt that accompanies this obsession can at times be crippling. You're right- you just have to departmentalize your issues and face them one at a time.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Michelle, Not sure if you read my first blog post or not, but I think it might benefit you. Negative self-talk is likely one of the loudest voices you hear. Once you learn how to challenge distorted thinking, your confidence will increase. Check out the links I included in that blog Ready? Set.Go! for more information. http://reclaimingyourself.blogspot.ca/2016/01/inaugural-blog.html Thanks for weighing in.

        Delete
    7. Reading this blog was therapeutic, fear is something within which in most cases has nothing to do with reality. I am a fan of your writing. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Ajin. You're right, a lot of times we give fear more power than it deserves.

        Delete
    8. Keep in mind that your boss is also dealing with her own anxiety: Am I too harsh? Will the writer maintain her desire to keep improving or just quit in frustration? Will the client be mad at me if we wrote documents that won't really serve him or her? Will I be able to get enough sleep to maintain my own wellness, necessary to reach my goals, like getting pregnant? I don't know if this helps, but I find it makes me less self-conscious when I focus on the other person's needs and humanity. Also, great column! Well written and with an important, hopeful message.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you for reading and commenting, Katherine. I value your feedback and appreciate your willingness to share your internal dialogue. It's interesting and helpful to compare notes. Your advice to focus on the needs and humanity of others is spot on. By putting yourself in someone else's shoes, you're better able to understand, relate and empathize with them. Thanks for your continued support.

        Delete